Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive?

Walter Cohen wrote:

I bought some kitchen and bath silicone sealant (GE Silicone II) at Home
Depot. I have the bottom track of my aluminum bathtub/shower doors that
I want to re-adhere to the tub surface as water has begun to seep
underneath the bottom of the track.

At HD there was GE silicone adhesive and GE silicone sealant. What is
the difference, if any, and did I buy the wrong product? I want to
re-seal the bottom track and prevent water from getting under it. I
know once I do manage to get the sealant under the track that I'll need
to weigh down the track itself in order to get good contact and adhesion
with the sealant/tub.

Thanks,
Walter

Is the frame not fastened to the wall? I've never heard of gluing a
shower door in place. Silicone caulk is the stuff to use around a
tub/shower. Surface should be absolutely, immaculately clean, wiped
with full-strength bleach, dried, caulked. Only a fine line of caulk on
the inside edge of the frame and track should be needed to stop leakage.
I took out my shower door/frame assembly to recaulk and get the little
moldy area cleaned out - got the bleach tip from a pro., and it worked
very well.