Posted to rec.woodworking
ed_h ed_h is offline

Default Frameless cabinets vs. face frames -- Is one truly better than the other?

Opinions?

I've done quite a few of both and consider the decision mainly one of
style, not strength. A face-frame cabinet may be stronger, but a well-
made frameless is plenty strong enough for most domestic purposes, so
who cares?

If the box material is not solid wood, the exposed box edges need to
be covered with something, and a face frame is one alternative.

On face-frames, I usually assmble them with mortise & tenon and then
glue to the box using biscuits for alignment.

On faceless, accurate adjustment of the doors is more critical for a
crisp look, and I find the 3-way adjustable hinges a blessing, and not
difficult at all to adjust. They do wear though, and can need
occasional readjusting or replacement.