Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Motor Question... Who Makes Grainger's Motors?

The lure of Graingers low prices and availability
is great but for an OEM to depend on them is a
stretch, IMHO.

Good point and thus my search for the motor manufacturer that supplies
Grainer with the specific motors I seek...

Might as well hijack my own thread now... Suppliers sometimes work hard to
be "backward compatible" and sometimes they don't work at it at all...

We have improvided our design on our basic product 3-4 times in 10 years...
And machine #1 will receive 99.9% of my new parts without modification. We
try very hard at it... ....Mostly because *I* don't want to have to
figure out how to fit a new part on an old machine in order to keep a
customer happy when their line is down and they are loosing lots of money a
day...

It would really suck if a motor manufacturer we use went out of business and
they are the only people making a certain frame / size motor. We've only
had one motor manufacturer mess us up in this way and it was Baldor... Hard
to imagine considering we use much less famous motor manufacturers on other
jobs, but they moved the junction box of a small single phase motor to the
side of the motor from the back of the motor... So much for the clearance
issue I thought didn't exist...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022