Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Oxy/acet torch questions

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:05:52 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok

SNIP

On the other hand I started welding with oxy-acet in 1950 without back
flow arrestors and haven't blown up yet. In fact I have never seen a
"flow arrestor" they don't seem to use them over here.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

Hey Bruce,

I don't doubt that you have never met anyone that has found the
purpose for them from personal experience in the non-use of back-flow
preventers.

Maybe folks from a few hundred feet away, but not the anti-proponent
himself!

As an aside, during an exchanging of cylinders, I watched a full tank
of oxygen "flywheel" horizontally out through a overhead garage door
and across the parking lot. It got knocked over and the valve-neck
cracked. The load "whistling noise" stopped after about 2 or 3
seconds, but the bottle spun for about a minute. So,when the "old
hand" at the job says " Don't take off the cap until you've got it
chained in the cart.", take his advice rather than arguing that it's a
whole lot easier to lift the bottle by the valve that by the cap.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.