Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Tadpole CH deaerator - marketing gimmick?

On 2007-10-30 13:31:26 +0000, Cicero said:

===================================
I'm not defending or supporting the 'Tadpole' in any way, merely saying
that it should be tested properly. If it's found wanting then people
should be properly warned against wasting money, but if tests support the
claims made for it then it would be worth every penny of the cost.

Yes understood.

Basically I'm sceptical as it appears to have nothing really new even if
the patent claim is true. One claim made for it is that it is 'small' but
compared with what exactly? A picture suggests that it is actually a large
drum-like item about the size of a small domestic bucket. In fact it
appears to be about 9" diameter and about the same in height. That would
give it a capacity of about 1.5 gallons (weighing about 15lbs / 7kg). I
certainly wouldn't like that kind of weight suspended in the pipework
adjacent to my CH boiler.

Quite. It probably achieves a degree of effectiveness in terms of air
extraction by being able to move the water through relatively slowly
but swirling it. The pipe connections suggest that. It does look
like a small pressure vessel.

The claims made in respect of fuel savings will soon bring it to the
notice of Trading Standards, I'm sure. Similar miracle products for car
fuel savings soon come to a sticky end.

The only fuel saving mechanism I can think of is if the boiler is
cycling rapidly because of gross amounts of air in the system.

Picture here, hopefully:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...cs/Tadpole.png

http://tinyurl.com/2v4dvo
[Open in new window]