Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Frameless cabinets vs. face frames -- Is one truly better than the other?

wrote:
I want to try and make a few cabinets for things in the garage
before attempting to make some for my kitchen but I keep going back
and forth trying to decide between face frames and frameless
cabinets.

Are face frames THAT much stronger? Even if you made the frameless
with dowels? And maybe strengthened the corners?

It seems to me that this is probably true, to an extent, but does it
make that much of a difference in the long run??

Does it simply come down to which look you prefer? I see advantages
and disadvantages to both. Frameless seem so much easier to build
and probably cheaper, too. In addition, the door openings are a lot
bigger and the hinges are more forgiving.

But the framed cabinets seem so much stronger and I think I may like
the look of a frame better--but that may be because that is what I
am used to seeing.

I wonder: Is there a way to marry the two styles so that is would
look good? Can one build a carcass like a frameless cabinet but
put a frame on the front? Seems to me that would work but maybe I
am all wet.

Opinions?

1. Face frames are stronger

2. Door openings with face frame are very little smaller. I use 1
1/2" width stiles which means the box is 1 1/2" narrower than
frameless (1 1/2 - 3/4 overlap on sides) *2

3. Easy hinges for face frame that are strong and inexpensive?
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...es/CatID/Cabin
et%20Hinges%2C%20Amerock%20Decorative/SubCatID/Half%20Wrap%2C%20Self%2
0Closing%2C%20Overlay
Those are a damn sight easier than the inset (35mm hole) hinges for
frameless. Had a friend that had a large custom millwork shop - he
built frameless boxes and used the insert hinges for his kitchen cabs.
Spent the next 10 years cursing the hinges.

4. Face frame are actually easier to make and install because they
don't rack. Many commercial frameless cabs are poorly made of stapled
together MDF - look at them hard and they want to fall apart. IMO,
YMMV

5. Face frame boxes *are* made like frameless. Essentially, depending
on how well you want to do it. I do mine by gluing and screwing
tongues on tops and bottoms into dadoes on the sides. Backs are inset
into dados all around and glued. I glue/screw the face frame to all
cabinet edges (ditto back nailing boards), face grain plugs in screw
holes.

I always make face frames with half-lap joints (easy and strong).
That means the end grain on the rails shows. If it is an end cabinet,
I just glue on a strip of veneer along the show side of the face
frame.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...