Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Default Replacement Atlas Lathe Gears (group buy.... )

wrote in article
. com...
Hi All,

Ive been working on, for the past several months, an Atlas QC-54 that
i bought for $300. Ive replaced everything that needed to and im
looking to get new steel/cast iron gears for the entire geartrain.

So, After calling clausing and finding out the prices for the
necessary parts, and almost having a heart attack..... I believe i
have found the correct pitches for the gears so that replacements can
be made/ordered. Inside the QCGB,the right sidegears are a DP of 20
and the upper gear train from the spindle down into the left side of
the gearbox, is a DP of 16. PA for all is 14.5. I was looking into
getting replacements for all the cast alloy gears as well as some of
the other gears that have been damaged in my gearbox.

Since exact matches are not readily available (ie. facewidth, bore
size, compound gears, etc.) some final machining of stock gears will
be required. I planned to order gear rod stock of the gears that are
part of the compound gears (16DP by 16 teeth) so that exact sizes
needed can be parted off and machined thus minimizing extra machining.
others like the 20dp 20t gears would be ordered as .375 face width and
a .5 inch bore and could be machined/ ground to final fit. Bushings
would be made from standard sintered bronze stock and can be made to
original spec, or adapted to your liking.

I would like to hear peoples interest in doing a group buy (since i
can get things somewhat cheaper in quantity through my local bearing
house).
I havent figured out pricing at the moment but seeing as most of the
labor in finished machining can be done on the lathe you are trying to
repair we shoudl be able to save some cost considering clausing
wants an average of $85 for each of the compound gear assemblies.

Thanks, let me know what you think.

Check with Boston Gear.

I believe they have exact replacements.....at reasonable prices.

www.bostongear.com

I would not doubt that it is where Clausing sources their gears.