Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill Joe AutoDrill is offline

Default Motor Question... Who Makes Grainger's Motors?

If they're induction machines your choices are limited. Basically you get
(line frequency in RPM) / ((motor poles)/2) - slip. So you have
3600/(2/2) - slip = 3450, 3600/(4/2) - slip = 1725. There are some six
pole motors out there, giving you a tad less than 1200 RPM, but they'd be
hard to find.

We use the 56C face motor line almost exclusively now and find 3450, 1725,
and 1140 RPM motors readily available from 1/3 HP up to around 2 HP. Above
2 HP, they are a bit harder to get a hold of... But what I really want to
find is a motor that isn't 6" or larger in diameter and the Grainger motors
I've held in my hand and used from time to time are exactly that... But
with a 42C face...

So... Basically, I'm on a quest for a 42C face motor suppler that offers up
to 2 HP models and 6" or less in diameter... Slim chance, I know, but ya
never know! I can always special order them, but keeping a fast delivery
timeframe is crucial for most of my customer's orders...

Of course, you could move to France and choose between 3000, 1500 or 1000
RPM, but I don't think that's what you meant...

No thanks...

If you want more flexibility you need a VFD with (probably) a three-phase
induction motor, a DC motor with controller, or a _really big_ brushless
motor (i.e. synchronous motor) with the correct drive. I know the theory;
someone who knows practice will soon chime in with part numbers, I hope.

My needs are in the size arena rather than the speed arena for the most
part... But the info you provide is very good and appreciated.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244