Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Mortice lock on a new bathroom door

GI Joe wrote:
On 30 Oct, 08:39, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"GI Joe" wrote in message

ps.com...

Morning all,
We're fitting a new 4-panel Victoruian door to the bathroom, and are
fitting a mortice lock.
Am I right in thinking it is a bad idea to fit the lock at the end of
the crossrail? I started drilling about 6 inches above that (basically
mid-height of the door) to fit the lock, and invoked merry hell from
SWMBO who is adamant that the handle should be level with the centre
of the cross rail. Admittedly the knobs on the other interior doors of
the house (in situ when we moved in) are central with the cross rail,
but surely fitting a mortice lock there would be a bad idea?
I need someone to reassure me that I'm not going crazy...

Cutting away part of the joint holding the cross-rail is not a particularly
good idea. However, it rather depends on what sort of mortice lock you are
fitting and what you want from the door.

If the lock is something like this:

It's pretty much identical to this. It has to work with the handles
that someone wanted.

Much will depend on the construction of the door as well. For many doors
these days they are made from a pair of surface skins and a stuffed wood
frame inside. So the locks etc can go anywhere near the centre without
there being any joints to compromise.

--
Cheers,

John.