Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Frameless cabinets vs. face frames -- Is one truly better than the other?

On Oct 29, 7:26 pm, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:

You have no idea how difficult it is to adjust the doors in a frameless
cabinet and make them look good.

LMAO! No kidding. Man do the look great on the assembly table. But
put them on that POS they will be on and any little bump in the wall
or out of level corner will make your life miserable.

And then.... the deadly warped door. Instant agony. Nothing will
line up around it, and it will never sit right on the frame.

I have never seen a cabinet without a face frame that was anywhere
near as strong as a cabinet with one. And if you are willing to
sacrifice some adjustment for a stronger cabinet, put a permanently
positioned rail as fascia on a fixed shelf.

I have seen some cabinet construction lately that is doing the old
half lap doors mounted on a regular rail/stile frame. Those could do
a pretty good job of meeting you half way on the designs you are
wanting depending on the door face you choose.

Robert