Simon Avery

Default Electric fence power indicator? Neon?

"David Hearn" wrote:

Hello David

DH| I take it that licking it (like we used to do with 9v
DH| batteries to check them!) isn't a suitable option...

The usual method on a farm of dealing with "know it all" types is to
simply not tell them about the electric fencing. Can give substantial
amusement. My dog ****ed on some once, he'd never go into that field
again.

DH| What sort of kick do these fences give? I've never had the
DH| misfortune to experience one.

Battery and Mains. The smaller 6v hobby jobs give enough to be felt.
12v car/leisure batteries kick out about 4-12kv (yep, kilo volts) at
absurdly low ampage. The mains one actually kick out *less* voltage,
but higher ampage and hurt considerably more and can energise miles of
wire.

The "hurt" is a typical electric shock. If you touch with your hand,
it hurts there and you get a deep pain followed by ache and tingling
at your wrist and ankle. Normally gone within a few minutes.
Apparently can be fatal to those with pacemakers by disrupting their
signal.

Kids don't seem to get hurt as bad, but older people do. I'm guessing,
but I figure this is down to resistance of the human body increasing
with age?

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/