Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Recessed lights in suspended ceiling

aemeijers wrote:
samurai wrote:
I wish to install 6" recessed lights into suspended ceiling, they are
very light, using 60watt bulbs, or possibly CF bulbs.

Do recessed lights in a suspeneded ceiling require them to be
supported with wire from the joists above, or can they just be mounted
into the ceiling tile(2x4)?
Is there any other way they can be mounted into the ceiling tile?

Do I need to run armored cable from the juction box to the light?

Thanks,
samurai.

Commercial-size (2x4)lights usually have their own hanging wires or
chains, in my experience- don't know if code requires it, but as flimsy
as most grids are, it is cheap insurance against head bonks, especially
in earthquake country. For a round can light, a single wire hanger would
probably be plenty. Even the stiff tiles tend to sag in humid weather,
so best to not load any weight on them. The ones I have seen installed
all had armored cable, but it was pretty lightweight. I think it is more
to protect the wires when people are mucking about up there, so the
wires don't get caught between sharp metal edges on the grid or fixtures.

'Standard commercial practice' is usually standard for a reason.

I didn't look up the specifics, but 2x4 drop-ins "sometimes" have to be
attached to a solid ceiling above. I believe at least one reason is so
they don't come down on firemen when a drop ceiling looses its integrity.

Also didn't look it up, but 2x4s used to be required to be attached to
the main runners with "earthquake clips". May now be obsolete.

--
bud--