Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default wellwater pump?

On Oct 28, 7:13 pm, John wrote:
Oops! Just got home and realized that I left a hose running all
weekend while I was gone. We have well water that uses a submersible
pump inline with a steel pressure tank (in basement). We have no
running water in the house. I drained the pressure tank and collected
~ 1 gallon of muddy water. I closed all the faucets (and shut off
valve to hose) and waited about an hour. The psi went up on the tank
but when I opened the drain valve only air came out.

I've since cut power to the system by flipping the breaker. Any
suggestions? Have I done longterm damage to the equipment, or does the
well just need to recharge? We just moved here and am still learning
about the house, I don't know (yet) how deep the well is, etc.

Thanks for your help,

Xuan

Other than the bit about air coming out of the tank, it sounds like
the pump may not be running. When you fire it up again, see if there
is a reset switch, a lever, or a button on the pressure switch you
have to hold in to get the system going again. Some set-ups have an
automatic shut off to keep the pump from being damaged in a 'dry'
well.

Harry K