Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Hopefully, an unnecessary reminder for dummies like me.

It was time to make another thirty or so favors for Lori's Waves & Navy
Nurses monthly luncheon. I chose to make small ring bowls and turned
them from mahogany offcuts and burned a crude fouled anchor in the
bottoms. To speed things up I thought to chuck and turn short cylinders
without bothering with making tenons. Hollowing the end grain with any
pressure at all made them fly out of the chuck even when it was over
tightened. I relearned what I had unlearned, so I'll caution a few
beginners and remind two lazy oletimers.

George explains it better, but in compression mode although scroll
chucks need to close on a tenon radially, just as or more importantly
the front of the jaws need to firmly abut the radial foot of a tenon.
Clamping, no matter how tightly, a cylinder without a tenon in the the
jaws with its end contacting the chuck body is no good, but if you
insist on doing it, be sure to wear a catcher's mitt and mask.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter