Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] teddysnips@hotmail.com is offline

Default Bizarre paint problem: Primer repelling topcoat

On 29 Oct, 01:01, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Vortex wrote:
Hello,

I've just built some shelving using MDF and have just encountered some
kind of paint incompatibility the like of which I have never seen before.

Specifically I primed the shelving with Homebase own brand wood and
metal primer (oil based)....but when I try to apply a top coat the paint
has been repelled as if I am trying to paint wax!! On this occasion the
top coat is Farrow and Ball "Modern Emulsion"...which is water based and
'kin expensive.

Use farrow and ball oil based paint. Same colors.

Next time, don't prime. Just use emulsion.

Quite - old decorator's trick, if you've run out of wood primer
(emulsion makes a crap primer on metal, though)

Edward