Posted to uk.d-i-y
Maria Maria is offline

Default Another Stupid Question - Peeking Under Laminate Flooring

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:18:30 -0000, "Roger Mills"

Maria wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 15:58:24 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Move the skirting?

Surely the skirting will then be sloping like the floor is!

How big a slope is there? How big is the gap? Is the skirting level all the
way round?

The skirting is level (it's recently been replaced before we moved in)
and the laminate appears to be chocked up at one end - the visible
skirting board narrows by 1 - 1.5 inch over 10 feet distance.

If so, the walls presumably haven't subsided - just whatever is
supporting the floor joists.

It's hard to tell - we had a vertical 2 inch wide settlement crack on
an interior wall adjacent to the front wall of the house. The front of
the house shows no signs of settlement at all - it's all inside on the
adjoining wall with next door. Looks like the bit of the house (the
main bit!) behind the front wall as dropped. Same upstairs where there
is no laminate, there is a one inch gap between the skirting and the
floor at the same end of the room.

To make a *proper* job, you really need to take
up the floorboards and pack the joists up level - making sure that there is
something solid under them.

That's what I thought.

Are you sure that the joists haven't partially
rotted on one side of the house, and sunk onto their supports - rather than
subsidence per se?

Can't see any rot, but not sure until I've removed the laminate!