Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Best way to shorten internal door?

Brian G wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Brian G wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Lord0 wrote:
Hi guys,

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two
internal doors by *about* 1cm.

What is the best way to do this? I have a DIY book (don't we all?)
that recommends using a manual plane.

I am a complete novice at carpentry - should I be trying this? What
tools should I be using? Etc etc

Cheers

Lawrence

Circular saw/batten method is quick and accurate. Google for details
Stuart

Almost guaranteed at the very least to cause some damage to the
doors and at worse to remove the fingers of the admitted "complete
novice".

Disagree on both counts. What damage could a straight cut with a sharp
blade do?

Stuart,

None if you are skilled at using such machinery - like myself, a time served
'chippie' of over 40 years who's handled virtually every type of portable
power tool for cutting wood and fitted more doors and frames than I can
remember - or the *well versed* D-I-Y'er.

But if you are a novice and unsure of what to do - and the OP is that, then
it's a far better way to cut a door for the first time using hand tools -
there's less chance of taking too much off, less chance of the 'electric'
saw tilting or jamming through incorrect use - and more importantly more
chance of keeping all the fingers on his hands - or the saw 'jumping' and
taking a lump out of his thigh....

Personally, I wouldn't use any power tools to fit a simple internal door,
whether panelled or flush, hardwood or softwood - especially in my own
house - I find it quicker, easier and more accurate to use sharp handtools
and a bit of patience in taking off leading edges to get that old fashione
'penny' joint all around the door - even on a 'bent' door frame. Some thing
you cannot do with an electric saw or planer - mind you, a battery powered
drill comes in useful for drilling out the lock/latch holes on the very odd
occassions when the old hands are too sore to turn the damned bit and brace
:-)

Brian G

I never did master hand tools. Watching a guy fitting rebated French
doors convinced me I just didn't have what it took.