Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Ohmster[_2_] Ohmster[_2_] is offline

Default Where and how do you find or get schematics?

[posted and mailed]

"Phil Allison" wrote in
:

"Ohmster"

How and where do you guys find schematics that you need to get a job
done?

** You often have to use persistence and ingenuity to get them out of
the makers.

Looks like Carver / Sunfire are keeping theirs secret.

Hmm, yeah it does. I wrote them for just a teeny weenie copy of the amp
and PS circuit but no answer yet.

I am afraid to try to fire this thing up when fixed because of that
Carver "magnetic field core" power supply, I cannot variac it up slow
and watch the current nor can I use a 100 watt light bulb in place of
the main fuse.

** Sure you can.

The dickens you say. I attached a small piece of the Carver M-400 PSU or
you can see it he
http://www.ohmster.com/~ohmster/pict...rvermfapsu.gif

Using this diagram, you are saying to just "short the triac" with wire,
main terminal to main terminal, leave the gate alone. For sure this would
make WAY to much power and blow the thing up but you say to bring it up
slow with a variac and stay down around 50-65% of the AC line and monitor
the "rails" on the amp to see if it is stable, not dumping DC, and does
not draw excessive current? Hey that is brillient! Dam, I don't have a
variac but could probably put my hands on one for the testing. That
probably would work too.

I do love the light bulb instead of the main fuse but that is not going
to work here at all, I am pretty sure. Oh, and use a small fuse, yes yes,
that would be correct.

Just bridge out the T1 and T2 terminals on that triac in the AC
supply.

The PSU then reverts to entirely conventional - but will produce
full DC rails with only 65% of nominal AC volts going in. Go any
higher and the tranny's magnetic core will saturate and blow the AC
fuse.

Use a small fuse ( ie 1 or 2 amps) when playing about.

It seems to be a matter of replace the for sure bad ****, check all
around,
pray, keep fingers crossed, plug it in and watch for smoke.

I am pretty sure I found the bad ****, 2 GMA4A fuses, 1 2SA1302 and 1
2SC3181major output transistors (The big flat plastic ones) and two of
four IRF640 are shorted. Cannot find anything more than that bad.

I think I will pass on the smoke and disaster, the idea you've pointed
out just might work. Thanks!

** Recipe for disaster.

...... Phil

Cheers, Phil.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body