Posted to alt.home.repair
patrick mitchel patrick mitchel is offline

Default Cordless Drill Battery vs. H.F. Brands

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to patrick mitchel :

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
The other difficulty is what you use for strap. I use #18 guage
stranded wire, with the strands spread flat. However, that still
usually
leaves a lump, which can make getting the batteries to fit properly
a bit of a pain.

Next time I'm going to experiment with some copper tape (still
soldered).

Hey Chris- if you have a hobby shop that's nearby- look for the k&s
materials that are commonly used by model railroaders- they have a tin
plated sheet that can easily br cut with a old scissors- like 8 thou
thick-
used em for my rebuilds using salvaged surplus cell and they work fine
for
contact strips.

I was thinking of that too, but I wanted to make do with what I had.
The copper tape is also on hand ;-)

alternatively if you are good with some needle nose pliers
you can break the old strips loose about half the time and reuse them.
takes some wiggling and torquing to the batt at the same time allpy some
pull(rolling) on the pliers.

I usually end up mangling them beyond useability.

Pat- who has also frozen a cell to solder with
a gun -dunno what the freezing does to the longevity of the cell
though. Pat

I've seen it suggested. I don't think it does any harm to the cell,
and give you a few extra seconds soldering...
--
Chris Lewis,

Hey Chris; I soldered up a couple of packs for a friend that was
vacationing in Socal area - going back to central oregon. He brought with
him 2 packs- 1 milwaukee and a dewalt xrp 18v pack. The dewalt showed a
bunch of bad cells- dunno what happened to it- the charger may have
mischarged the pack and the millwaukee had several bad cells- since I had
purchased several of the harbor tools packs (1.7 amp/hr cells) I made up the
2 batts in the lower (than the 2.6 cells in both packs). When he got back
from vacation , he told me that both batts worked and charged as normal
packs . That worked out to 10 (US ) dollars a rebuild. The upside is that I
got enough cells to make up a new (2.6 amp/hr) pack(stick pack) for the 9.6
makita drill that refuses to die.