Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default 12" Disc Sander reccomendations

In article ,
Ignoramus32225 wrote:

On 2007-10-28, RichD wrote:
Your indulgence please.
For folks with these machines:
I have been wanting a 12" disc sander for years and having just used
one a bit got
me on the hunt now.
I have almost all the makings for one. 12" disc, 1 HP 1725 RPM motor,
tilt table, etc.
Looking at catalog pics shows me various basic designs.
What I need to know to make or chose a kick ass model:
-What RPM is best?
-What should the table height be relative to the disc center?
-Any other subtle niceties?

Rpm is usually not something you have much choice of, determined by
safety considerations. Dust collection is nice. Being all around
heavy, etc is nice too.

I am going to pick up a 14" one next week, along with a dust
collector, if you are in Chicagoland, and are interested, let me know.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/14-inch-disk-grinder/

That looks pretty solid.

If you are doing wood, 3500 rpm is too fast, and will burn everything.
Better to use 1750 rpm.

RPM is controlled by available motor speeds, not safety per se.

Joe Gwinn