Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default 12" Disc Sander reccomendations

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:10:13 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
RichD quickly quoth:

Your indulgence please.
For folks with these machines:
I have been wanting a 12" disc sander for years and having just used
one a bit got
me on the hunt now.
I have almost all the makings for one. 12" disc, 1 HP 1725 RPM motor,
tilt table, etc.
Looking at catalog pics shows me various basic designs.
What I need to know to make or chose a kick ass model:
-What RPM is best?

1,725 seems to be the norm for RPM.

-What should the table height be relative to the disc center?

Centered?

-Any other subtle niceties?

Electric brake?

A high-end veneering shop I toured half a dozen years ago had a 20"
disc sander and I drooled for weeks afterward.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.