Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32225 Ignoramus32225 is offline

Default 12" Disc Sander reccomendations

On 2007-10-28, RichD wrote:
Your indulgence please.
For folks with these machines:
I have been wanting a 12" disc sander for years and having just used
one a bit got
me on the hunt now.
I have almost all the makings for one. 12" disc, 1 HP 1725 RPM motor,
tilt table, etc.
Looking at catalog pics shows me various basic designs.
What I need to know to make or chose a kick ass model:
-What RPM is best?
-What should the table height be relative to the disc center?
-Any other subtle niceties?

Rpm is usually not something you have much choice of, determined by
safety considerations. Dust collection is nice. Being all around
heavy, etc is nice too.

I am going to pick up a 14" one next week, along with a dust
collector, if you are in Chicagoland, and are interested, let me know.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/14-inch-disk-grinder/