Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Devereux John Devereux is offline

Default Tek LCD screen failure

CC writes:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:58:21 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"CC" wrote in message
Hi:

It figures that with all the Tek TDS3000 series scopes I've been
using at work for the past 8 years, that the TDS3014 I bought and
paid for with my own money at home would have the LCD screen fail!

[...]

Thanks for your replies.

When the scope is starting up, horizontal bars of varying display
contrast flicker across the screen. After a few minutes, there are
only occasional flickers, but the whole screen contrast is terrible.
The white-on-grey soft menus that are displayed for instance by the
"Quickmenu" button are barely visible.

Overall backlight appears uniform, and the low-med-high levels appear
to work correctly.

Hi Chris,

I have a TDS3054 that had a badly flickering LCD, usually during
startup or when knocked. It was just a bad connection of the LCD flex
ribbon cable. Simply unplugging/replugging this cable fixed it.

Make sure you download the service manual from their web site, it
explains in great detail how to get the thing apart. (It would be
impossible otherwise but is straightforward with instructions).

--

John Devereux