Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rminv@yahoo.com is offline

Default Door advice needed

I just installed a pre-hung exterior door with weather stripping. It
went fairly well until I went to install the strike plate on the door
jamb. I enlarged the pre-cut 'hole' with a chisel to accomodate the
hardware that I bought. Unfortunately a crack opened vertically along
the latch side of the jamb. The (long) crack is near the edge of the
jamb.

Does anyone have any advice on how to solve this? Do I have to saw
out all the nails/shims, remove the door, remove the latch side jamb
and try to pound in a replacement side? If I try this, should I
anticipate problems with the weatherstripping?

Thanks,
Tim