Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default CA. Fires - What's wrong with the inspectors?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:39:55 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 10/26/2007 8:28 AM h said the following:
"Oren" wrote in message

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 19:38:28 -0400, h wrote:

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

Dave Bugg wrote in message ...

Ahhh, you aren't aware of the restrictions landowners are put under

by all

the 'environmental' regulations, are you? Much of the problem stems

from the

inability of landowners to properly control the underbrush, grasses,

weeds,

and other flammable vegetation. Their hands have been tied by the

'green'

movement.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

That's true Dave. Last year during the Tahoe fires, about the only
home that made it through the fire in one neighborhood, was that of a
homeowner that went against the regs and cleared much more than he was
*supposed* to.

Cheri

Okkaaay, so how about commenting about why these idiots live in these
areas
in the first place? There are lots of placed ill-suited to human
habitation;
Mississippi flood plain, a LOT of SoCal, tornado alley, and most of
Florida,
yet people continue to build there and the gubmint continues to bail them
out every single time. It's ridiculous that those of us living in sensible
places with no tornados, floods, mudslides, wildfires, hurricanes, etc.
have
to fund the constant re-building of those who insist on living where they
shouldn't. You want to live there, great, but I'm NOT going to pay for it.
Yes, we have the occasional flood here in upstate NY, but only the 10-20
homes of idiots who feel compelled to live right ON the river. Why should
they be allowed to do this and still get bailed out by the gubmint? While
it's great farmland, no one should have a house on the Mississippi flood
plain for just this reason. Crops, sure. Houses, not so much. Same with
much
of SoCal. It burns, it slides, it quakes, DON'T LIVE THERE. Duh.

Do you depend on your local "gubmint" to fix and repair roads in New
York (upstate) ? Who takes away downed trees from blizzards?

??? ALL roads everywhere are fixed by the gubmint, not just in NY. The last
time we lost a tree during a blizzard we chopped it up for firewood. But to
answer your question, the HOMEOWNER is responsible for downed trees. Idiot.
Plonk.

When hurricane Floyd hit NY back in Sept. 1999. It was the homeowners
with chain saws that cleared the local roads before the highway
department could get there. I was there with my chain saw, even though I
had a 50 foot Wild Cherry down in my yard. We dumped the wood on the
side of the road for the highway department to pick it up. There wasn't
much left after the fireplace owners took most of it away.

I lived in Saranac Lake, NY for two winters (few miles from Lake
Placid ).

Always seemed to me the snow plows found the downed trees on public
roads first Employees could not get to work, thus needing to mandate
overtime for the un-lucky person.

Maybe a few locals carried chainsaws, not everyone. A downed tree was
good reason to call in to work

--
Oren