Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Gateway 2000 GP5-200 Overheating Fix

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:jzQUi.174372$Fc.168614@attbi_s21...
I think I found the problem I was having with a Gateway 2000 GP5-200
desktop
computer. It would randomly freeze or drop into STOP errors. I started
looking at the motherboard and found a voltage regulator attached to a
beefy
heatsink. Even with that, it still got too hot to touch for very long. If
you look at the URL below, note the electrolytic caps sandwiched in
between
the two major fins on the heatsink. That can't be a great idea.

Last I looked it had been up for over five hours now. I guess Gateway
shouldn't have been so stingy with their idea to put another fan in
place...maybe that's why I've never seen another one of these?

http://12.206.251.215/gp5200/

Sorry for the cross-posting. It seemed like this topic would fit well in
both groups.
The IP is dynamic but should be relatively stable. I lost my DynDNS
account
(after six years, they killed it for 30 days of my not signing in!) and am
working to get it back.

William

I noted in a different thread a few days ago, that switch mode power supply
designers have a pathological need to locate any and all electrolytics as
close as possible to hot components, in order to cause the service industry
as much trouble as possible. Seems that mobo designers are similarly
afflicted then ... d:~}

Arfa