Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default 300 W computer power supply

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have this power supply we stripped out of a pc we're junking. It
has a 12V 10A section. I would like to use it as a 12V bench supply
for testing and running equipment. I have no plans for the other
supplies. Can I run it and the other supplies unloaded? And can I just
use the 12V supply without using the others? The unit presently won't
come on but there is a green wire in the bundle with the mother board
connector that I suspect needs some kind of proper bias on it but I'm
not sure. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks, Lenny
Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Look up ATX pinout and you should find the info you need to fire it up.
Connect the power on wire to the standby wire and that should do it.

On most you'll need to load the primary output before the secondary outputs
will regulate. On old AT PSUs it was the 5V, but on yours it's probably the
3.3V output. A power resistor or automotive lightbulb will work.