Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Union Millwrights

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
newsryUi.2503$eD3.566@trnddc03...

snip

The unions just killed another one today. In Newton, Iowa (I think) the
Maytag plant that had been there forever and was the heart of the town,
colsed and moved to a non-union place in Ohio. The plant, according to
the news, employed one in four residents of the small town. Now they have
to scramble to find other employment.

How long do you think it will be before it moves to China? A lot of plants
have sort of hop-scotched to lower-wage areas in the US and then threw in
the towel completely, leaving the country for cheaper operating costs and
wages.

We could solve this problem easily. All we have to do is to eliminate the
minimum wage, outlaw unions, and then tell people they can accept $0.80/hour
(a sort of median wage in China) or suck wind. That's something like the way
things operated here before 1910 or so.

--
Ed Huntress