Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default Opinions Sought on Williamson Boilers

Hello,
My GF has just been told that her oil burner/boiler needs
replacement. (It is a 30-yr old Ultimate.) I will not be at her
location for some time and can therefore not do an assessment of the
tech' s statement (or hers- something about "flame showing through a
crack" and "plugged grates") but, assuming replacement is necessary, I
would like your opinion of Williamson which some say is basically a
re-labeled Weil McLain sold at a slightly lower price. (The tech who
came to clean her burner recommended the Williamson.)
She's not the kind of person who always wants the best,
or the most expensive with the latest technology. She just
wants a decent moderately priced heat source. (I suspect
these boilers are not as efficient as some others.)
Can she go seriously wrong with a Williamson?
Many thanks for help.
Frank
P.S. She has always had her burner cleaned every year.
Will she have to have the new one cleaned every year?
(I say it's unnecessary.)
Also, is the Williamson particularly noisy?