Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Why Bathroom Outlet Is Dead When I Turn Off the Light?

On Oct 26, 2:51 pm, Jay Chan wrote:
When I turn off the light in my bathroom, the GFCI outlet inside the
bathroom will also go dead. This is quite inconvenient because I need
to use that outlet to recharge an electric razor, and two electric
powered tooth brushes. Now, I must leave them outside the bathroom in
order to have them recharged.

The strange thing is that I see the same situation in another bathroom
in my house. I have also see the same thing in my brother-in-law
apartment -- the power of the whole bathroom is off as soon as I turn
off the light.

Why is that? What's the reasoning behind this?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Jay. It is possible that the rewire will be up at the (ceiling?) light
fixture. Not at the switch itself.

Check and see if it has been wired along these lines.

1) Live and neutral from the supply to the light fixture ceiling or
wall box.
2) All neutrals joined together?
3) The live wire extended to the switch by one wire?
4) When switch is 'on' that live returns via the other wire from the
switch.
5) That 'switched live' is connected not only to the light but also to
the bathroom outlet!
6) If the above 1 to 5 is correct? It may be possible to reconnect the
live wire that goes to the outlet directly to the supply live wire?
If you run into something more complicated or different it might be
best to get someone who is electrically competent to help you sort out
how it's previously been wired.
As other posters have said it is unusual to have lights and outlets
hooked up to a lighting circuit. Although it might have n been done as
safety measure at some point in time?
OR: because that was the only way it could be made to work? For
example someone wanting an outlet in an old style bathroom merely
tapped one off an adjacent light fixture! Hmm! Not always the best
policy. Best check it out.
I seem to remember out first house bathroom did not have any outlets
at all. Our second house bathroom had only a shaver outlet which
contained a small 7 watt transformer; something now banned by many
jurisdictions AFIK.
Congratulations on using a GFCI for safety.