Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Union Millwrights

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 23, 9:08 am, "*" wrote:
The last time ol' "Millwright Wrong" brought the subject up, someone
pointed out that that union shops - in general - were much more angry
places to work than non-union shops.

My experience would be the same.

That was me, and since the last time I've had the displeasure of
watching a fairly large factory go union.

It's a slow process once the contract is signed but it's showing,
people who seemed perfectly happy before are now starting to see
"management screwing me" in places that don't make sense.

I always ask my union employees "what would that get me" when they
claim I'm doing some nonsense to screw them. If it doesn't actually
get me anything then why would I take the time to do it?

The very fact that these morons feel a need for a union is a strong enough
message that they "don't get it". My experience with union supporters
lends credence to the idea that they feel they are owed a living simply
because they exist, and are due their share of any and all profits that
might come from their contribution, in spite of the fact that they agreed to
sell their time to their employer for a given fee, their wages. Almost to
the man, none of them appear to make a connection between in earning their
pay, or in receiving pay in keeping with its value.

How is it that union people demand a share of the spoils, but are quick to
jump ship when a company falls on bad times, particularly at the hand of the
damned union(s), perhaps having to close the doors? Where are these people
that demanded unearned pay when the company might need a helping hand?
How many of them have you seen, voluntarily, put in time to save the
company? Their brains don't work like that. They're takers and users, and
will stop at nothing to achieve their goal of living off society.

Union machinists in the general Seattle area are slowly losing that fat cash
cow they've milked for years at Boeing. They've finally pushed management
to the point where they realize that they're far better off having
components made everywhere but here, than dealing with people that demand
money far beyond their value.

I worked as a machinist/toolmaker for most of my productive life, and
realize, all too well, the degree of skill and experience that one must have
to be qualified for the job. These people are worth money, but when they
demand wages in keeping with what a well educated doctor used to make, it's
time to get a reality check. That, or lose their jobs, as it turns out, is
how it's shaking out. Who's fault is it?

Harold