Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default How Not-To-NEC is this?

Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:

) said...

doorbell low voltage wires arent supposed to be run with romex cables.
not a electrician but I believe thats not permitted, as a cross
connection could produce line voltage at a doorbell button.

They are not allowed to enter into the same space within a box or panel,
but you can certainly run them next to them through and along studs and
joists.

The one thing that no one else has mentioned here is what was done with
the hole that the cable goes through? Attached garages are supposed to
be gas-tight from the living space, and drilling a hole in the wall
violates that. Once the cable is in place, the hole should be caulked
with acoustic sealant (an icky black substance that never hardens).

I seem to recall specifically noting that fire stop (not acoustic)
compound should be used... "and a squirt of fire stop goop at each
garage wall penetration would be good,"... yep, that's what I said.

As for gas tight, that is certainly not the case, the common walls,
doors, etc. between a garage and house should be fire rated, not gas
tight, and the fire rated standards are lower than those for commercial
spaces.