Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff[_3_] Jeff[_3_] is offline

Default Space Above Kitchen Cabinets

Ha. My summer project ended up ripping this ceiling out of my kitchen and
putting in a regular height ceiling with pot lights. In my case the middle
recess was filled with two fluorescent fixtures and there was another little
fluorescent fixture recessed above the sink.

Now in our case the kitchen is fairly small at about 10 X 10. On top of that
the entrance into the kitchen was cut in half by a peninsula containing the
dishwasher. It was very bright so I wouldn't say it was cave-like but I felt
that the drop ceiling made the space feel even smaller than it was. We have
standard 8' ceilings so the kitchen was only 7"4". (I also cut out the
peninsula and moved the dishwasher to beside the sink, so the room is now an
open U rather than semi closed in.) We think the kitchen feels much bigger
now, part of that is the visual effect of seeing the top of the walls behind
the top cupboards and that it is less demarked as a separate space from the
adjoining eating area. It's a visual reminder that the room is 10 x 10
even though 3 sides of the room are occupied with cabinets and appliances
reducing the floor space almost in half.

So for your consideration, think about the visual impact closing off this
space will have on the room. A larger space or higher ceilings would impact
the decision.

I do like the rope light idea suggested earlier, I think I'll be giving that
a try.
Jeff

"Manster" wrote in message
Harry K wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:11 pm, Jerry wrote:
Any suggestions on what to do with the 11 inch spaces that WILL BE
above newly installed kitchen cabinets, other than let them collect
dust?

Box it in is the best option. There comes a point where style should
give way to practical. Anything stored up there, or just left empty
is a dust collector. Some people might use it for storeage but I
wouldn't. I am 6' but still need a 'grabber' or stool to get things
off the top shelf of the cabinets as it is.

Harry K

I agree with you Harry. Having had upper cabinets both ways I prefer a
soffit over the cabs rather than open, or have the cabs go up to the
ceiling with smaller compartments and doors along the top; which catch all
the stuff you tend to forget about :-)

Another consideration is to lower the entire ceiling and have recessed
lighting and add the cans as well. Like this:

http://www.toltec-carpentry.com/imag...ughed%20in.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/3e5gcn