Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default formula for turning speed?

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:40:37 GMT, "George" wrote:

If it feels uncomfortably fast, it is. Nothing even Nish says should make
you think you have to cut any faster than what you're comfortable with.
remember, to get the wood coming by twice as fast gives four times the
energy to any mistake. I imagine you're like most of us, moving the gouge
about at a modest speed, not trying to scoop as fast as a high speed would
permit, so enjoy it.

Reminds me of something Darrell said on his wing bowl page, about turning them
at 1,900 or thereabouts and that a catch would be "dramatic"..

Brings back a old infantry expression, in response to "no guts no glory"
"No drama, no trauma"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing