Posted to rec.woodworking
HotRdd HotRdd is offline

Default Woodshop Accidents

My family has done wood working for years and generations. One summer
evening (I was about 20 years old) I was in a hurry to finish up some cuts
of oak for a coffee table. While cutting several lengths of 2 1/2" wide oak
I put my hand between the blade and fence (Note your middle finger sticks
out when pushing down like this) when the blade kicked my middle finger went
across the blade. Enough said.

Two weeks later my cousin was holding a joint on plywood together while
cutting the plywood with a skillsaw the blade bound up and kicked back
removing his thumb.

Two weeks later my grandfather ran his thumb through the table saw.

I am now "SUPER" safe. The blood spots are still on the light above the
table saw. When people ask I tell them... Safety fist speed later...

When I was around 16 I had my uncle tell me about someone "karate chopping"
him in the back of the neck while he working on the table saw, he turned
around but didn't see anyone. When he went inside for tea his wife noticed
small holes down the middle of his shirt. Turns out the blade grabbed his
shirt and gave it a very fast and tight pull and then release. When it
happened to me a few years later I knew what he was talking about..

If you play with the bull your going to get the horns sooner or later..

All of us have had "CLOSE" calls that may not be the memorable because they
didn't "REALLY" Happen.

"k" wrote in message
ups.com...
I teach wood shop and the students don't seem to take accidents
seriously. Does anyone have a list of different short stories that I
could share with them, to help them realise that accidents do and can
happen if they are not careful. Or if something has happened to you
please let me know. Thanks