Posted to rec.woodworking
Chip Buchholtz Chip Buchholtz is offline

Default Mechanical Aptitude Test

Robert Bonomi wrote:
: In article ,
: Doug Miller wrote:

: I see two triangles point down.
: center of mass _is_ the same as the point of contact with the lever.
: The lever is already marked in uniform segments.

: The one on the left is _two_ segments out from the fulcrum
: The one on the right is _six_ segments out from the fulcrum.

: How in name of {something} do you come up with anything other than 3:1??

Aha! They got my message and fixed the question!

It used to be two squares, and the answer they wanted was based on the
*outer* edge of each square, not the center. I suggested that using
triangles or circles would make it easier to see where the center of
mass was; you wouldn't have to decide between the inner edge, the
center, or the outer edge.

--- Chip