Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7291 Ignoramus7291 is offline

Default Again -- Tried running the quincy compressor

On 2007-10-26, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:25:53 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus3971 quickly quoth:

On 2007-10-26, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus20839 wrote:
I put the circuit on slightly bigger breakers and tried again. The
result is that my phase converter (17.5 HP idler capacity) is not big
enough to restart the compressor when PSI reaches 100. I do not suspect
unloaders, based on what I hear when it starts, unloaders do work.

This time motor overloads tripped, quite rightly. I would not try to
defeat them. The motor clearly was not doing well.

If the pressure makes a difference, then the unloaders are NOT
working, in some manner or other. Can you hear the unloaders
cut out after the compressor spins up?

It is not able to fully spin up when unloaders kick in. That's the
issue. It starts spinning, accelerates slowly, then unloaders kick in,
and it slows down, then it blows the overload.

I understand that it uses hydraulic unloaders. Perhaps they have grime
or jelled oil around them and simply need to be cleaned. I've never
even seen the style, but that's the direction I'd look, FWIW.

The point is, unloaders do work. But the compressor does not have
enough time to accelerate with my phase converter, until they rightly
kick in. It accelerates, but not fully, and then they kick in in 2
seconds and it stops.