Martin H. Eastburn

Default How to choose between using collets and endmill holders for mill?

Pete Bergstrom wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:42:43 -0500, "Pete Bergstrom"

wrote:

I ended up buying a collet holder so I'll use that for the smaller size
tools.

Ive spun more than a few endmills in my 30 taper milling collets. The
engagement surface is pretty short. Some have longer "bores" than
others, so when looking for a collet holder...be advised.

That was one thing I thought of. The collets are ER40, the biggest I thought
I could find for a 30 taper holder and still be able to buy them for a few
years. It's a bigger chuck, but the engagement area was important.

Thanks!
Pete

And the double angle will be a good tight fit. I like how the collet is held into
the 'Nut' and then the whole of it is screwed in.

I have that set in MT4 and R8. (holder in R8 anyway :-) )
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer