Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default Do I need Planning permission?

wrote:
Our house was built in 1979. It has a "porch" of sorts - little more
than a shelter from the rain (provided that there's no wind). It has
a sloping roof which joins onto the house, and is open to the weather,
supported at the two corners by thick wooden posts.

We'd like to replace this with a solid structure under the existing
roof - i.e. on exactly the same "footprint". Our builder assures us
that, because it's only replacing what's already there, it doesn't
need planning permission.

Is he right? It would be a shame to have to take it down later. The
reason we don't want to apply for planning permission is because we've
just had an extension built and found the whole planning farce
ludicrously and insultingly expensive and bureaucratic.

Why not ask your local planners? They should be able to tell you if you do
need planning permission. The chances are that you don't but it is best to
check first. You will almost certainly need building regulations permission.
As for the cost the fee you pay does not even cover the Counmcil's
expenditure. Most of the cost is actually funded by part of the council tax.

Peter Crosland