Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Silicone sealant

On 2007-10-26 09:40:56 +0100, "diy-newby" said:

Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look to
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

I don't know, but I can recommend the Fugenboy (Screwfix 28167).
This is a set of shaping tools in a particular plastic which does not
particularly adhere to the fugen (sealer).

Then you need some water with washing up liquid added as a release
agent and some paper kitchen roll.

Decide on which profile you want to have - there are curved and angled
ones of different sizes. Apply the sealerbut don't overdo it, then
wet the tool (as it were) and run along the join. When there is
build up, wipe the tool clean with kitchen paper moistened with the
water/detergent and continue. Finally with a clean tool wetted again,
run along the entire join.

There is a better product called Fugen Ass (www.fugenass.info). I
bought one of these in France. For some reason, the company has not
managed to market it vrey well in the UK.