Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Teenagers pulling pranks

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:40:27 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
. ..

You and your neighbors may
want to 'talk' to the authorities.

Now,just what do you mean by putting "talk" (in parentheses!!)??
Be specific and clear.

He didn't put "talk" in parentheses. He did, however, put it between
single
quotation marks for no particularly good reason.

Quotation marks are "supposed" to indicate that the thing between them
has a meaning other than the apparent one. Sometimes it can be
difficult or impossible to determine what that meaning is.

In the message we're talking about, I don't see any meaning other than the
obvious one. Now, if he had said "You should jack the kid up on the wall and
have a little 'talk" with him", I would've interpreted that to mean that
talk might not have been the chosen method of getting one's message across.