Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default Shoring up potentially damaged studs without removing all the drywall?

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think a point that a couple of you may have missed is that it's not
the drywall that the OP is concerned with, it's the baseboard and
carpet. In other words, to remove the drywall would mean removing the
baseboard which in turn might impact the carpet installation.

Yep, that's also a pain. But if you take it slowly and use a thin flat blade,
you should be able to remove the baseboards with damaging them. Be sure to score
the wall paint/baseboard seam with a razor first. The carpet shouldn't be a
problem as the tack strips are usually far enough away from the wall that you
have space to work.

That said, I agree that proper inspection and repair of the studs is
not possible without removing the drywall, regardless of how much
downstream work this causes.

'fraid so.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."