Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Demo Deception?

On Oct 25, 2:19 pm, charlieb wrote:

Kind of fun to play with, not requiring much wood - or time.

I think you sell yourself short. I had a ball turning realistic
looking mushrooms with some branch wood I had, all turned off center.
It took a while before I could get odd shaped heads, and get them to
lean over a while maintaining a smooth shaft with no bumps.

In addition to adding two more axis, I'm turning some arms
to stick on the figures - and will cut out some veneer fig leaves
and add one to each figure - so as to not offend anyone's
"sensibilities" (see Ashcroft - Justice Department - statue
of bare breasted Justice ). I suspect that the fig leaf will
be the focus of attention for each of these pieces which
seems to me to be counter productive.

I suppose you are right. Sadly, the fig leaf will probably be the
first thing looked at as well as trying to see if it can be removed.

But I think your (sculptures?) pieces are pretty damn cool. To me,
they seem to have a feeling of some of the African shapes used in
tribal carvings, or even the short pudgy guys even go back to the
Mayan scultures.
Very cool, indeed. I'd bet too that your friend is on to something,
and that one of those colored to appear as a statue would look very
striking on the mantle.

Robert