Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Granite and what you don't know.

On Oct 25, 6:03 pm, "The Davenport's" wrote:
???? What does a hot pan do to granite?

The granite can crack/break/shatter/otherbadthings from thermal shock.

Not always, but can...enough so that it's best to assume that it will.

Mike

Exactly. I was actually in a friend's house when his wife sat a hot
pan (one of her nice heavyweight stainless jobs), right off the stove
onto the cold granite. We heard these popping noises a little like
crackle, and didn't see any damage.

But when she cleaned up that night a couple of small pieces of quartz
came out on the sponge. She was in tears.

I have heard, but not seen personally that a hot pan would also
discolor granite. I would guess it would have to be a really hot pan
on a really cold surface though. Just a guess.

Robert