Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Coil hot -- new one to me...

The points or the module should open and close to complete the circuit
furnishing voltage to the primary side of the coil. If you have a low
voltage test lamp with alligator clips, attach the clips to the two primary
terminals of the coil, and with ignition on and the sparkplugs removed,
slowly crank the engine. The test light should go on and off as you crank.
If it doesn't, there is a problem with the module or points or the wiring
involved in that circuit

"dpb" wrote in message ...
RBM wrote:
I've had welded points overheat and fry a coil. Check to see that the
module is opening and closing the ignition circuit, then check to see
that the coil is still good

I'll have to do some larnin' to figure out how to do that specifically,
but I suspect I already know the answer since I don't have spark.

It's a failure mode w/ points and the solid-state modules I hadn't run
across before...