Posted to alt.home.repair
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com is offline

Default Shoring up potentially damaged studs without removing all the drywall?

On Oct 25, 5:10 pm, "StarMan" wrote:
If one is working on a wall where there may be some past termite damage (now
certainly gone), there is a somewhat "cracking" sound when pounding the
drywall, is there any way to reinforce the studs without having to remove
all the drywall from the walls in question?

In the house in question, the carpet, baseboards and the room itself is in
good enough shape as to not need work, so to re-do all the drywall would be
a massive effort and expense. The state of the studs is unknown, but surely
there's some damage. In a few years, no structural damage was noticed.

Put on a dust mask and start tearing the drywall off. It's not that
bad a job, drywall is cheap, and you might be surprised at what you
find inside. I was in a similar situation with an old house once and
when I took off the drywall there were a couple of studs that were
completely destroyed. The only way you can be sure is by removing the
drywall.

GoodLuck,

Jim