Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Fuse blown in 18" flat screen..

On Oct 24, 11:59 pm, ICT User wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I guessed that it would be more than the
fuse, wanted to check before I tried again - it did scare me when it
blew and it also knocked out the trip switch. When it originally
blew it didnt seem to make any noise, i was using the monitor at the
time and it just went off, which is why i just replaced the fuse
inside. As im not an expert in electronics I may just bin it or try
and find a local electronic shop that might be able to fix it as its/
was a great monitor.

sometimes fuses open up, in that case trying a replacement is often
all thats needed. BUT
fuses which go blackened or blow apart indicate a dead short very near
the point where the mains enters the device . measure the rectifier
diodes out of circuit. Then proceed towards the chopper.
if it is a CRT then remove the degauss posistor.

in future, to avoid surprises like that, connect the mains in series
with a 100watt light bulb to protect the device. if the bulb shines
then the short is still present.

-b