Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Timed Interference?

In 16 months it will not matter as the analog TV transmitters will all
be turned off permanently. I've been using digital TV for almost 4
years now and I can't imagine dealing with NTSC ever again -- and I
work in a video post house. True, no tape based VCRs but certainly
recorders based on hard disks of which I have 3 units (PCs), often all
3 running to capture HD shows for later - MUCH later as in next
summer. No reruns at our house.

No ghosts, smears, ringing, noise (except for film grain), 5.1 audio.
Bulk storage? I'm using 500 gig USB drives ($110 Fry's) to hold
archived shows -- about 120 42 minute shows in HD (commercials
removed) per drive. 4 times that in std def. 20 years ago Bill Gates
told us TV would be centered on PCs and I thought he was full of it. I
was wrong. Time to take the plunge - the water's great.

GG

I quit watching TV alltogether years ago and don't miss that waste of time,
however for millions of consumers the changeover will be quite a hassle.
Even if the converter boxes are cheap, you still need a new antenna and
those aren't, nor is installing one trivial for everyone. Cable and satelite
customers will essentially be unaffected, but there's a lot of people in
rural areas throughout the country who don't have that luxury.