Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Back to turning

Just as an afterthought, since I got my 16HD Laguna bandsaw, I never
use the electric chainsaw.
robo hippy

On Oct 25, 10:57 am, Steve Russell
wrote:
Hello Alan,

Glad to hear you're back up and running. When I go on vacation to Hawaii for
two weeks, I come back feeling great! (but also like I need a turning
fix...) We're just going into winter here in Houston. It's been really hot
of late, so I'm looking forward to cooler temps. Take care and all the best
to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website:http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at:http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 10/25/07 12:20 PM, in article ,

"Alan" wrote:
After a year stored in a seatainer and another 6 months stored on my
back verandah while waiting for the new shed to be constructed, I
finally managed to do some turning.

What did I make ?

First, 2 axles on the metal lathe as the old lawnmower wheels used
to move the wood lathe had disintegrated while standing in the
seatainer and the replacement wheels had a different axle size.

Once the wheels were in position I could move it onto working
position, then remove wheels and start turning after sharpening
gouge,skew & parting tool.

My tractor with FEL will not fit into shed. It was not happy moving
700 kg of metal lathe to the doorway, moved to position on rollers.

Then the Woodfast Cobra got power, 1800 rpm and I roughed out a well
seasoned piece of Jarrah, hit it with the skew ( Sorby Oval ) and
made

2 file handles

I will not use files without handles as I have seen a couple of
spiked palms from the tang, messy.

I have 7 Sheoak bowl blanks left, having had to dispose of about 2
tonnes of turning blanks which would not fit in the seatainer and a
fair amount of Jarrah for spindles, pepper mills etc.

Next thing is to get proper power into the shed instead of 2 x
15A/240V extension leads.

Life is getting better and summer is coming.

Alan