Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff37 jeff37 is offline

Default Crooked garage door

OK, I have an extension spring garage door I've been doing battle with
for months now. A couple of months ago, I replaced the springs (one
broke) and also replaced a bunch of the worn hinges and rollers.

I also tried to straighten the tracks a bit, because the button on the
bottom bracket (that attaches to the pull cable) had always been
scraping against the tracks and causing issues. First, I set the
tracks at 1/2" away from the door on both sides. The scraping was
much worse that way, and sometimes it would cause the door to jam. It
seemed to get worse over the course of a few weeks, even after I
readjusted the spring tension a few times.

I then pulled the tracks as far apart as possible, to keep the thing
from scraping. Now my problem is that the door always becomes crooked
when being lowered. By the time it gets near the bottom, it jams and
resets. I've toyed with the tension quite a bit, and this doesn't
seem to do anything. I think the problem is more with the tracks, but
I can't figure out quite what is going on.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to stop this? Also, for the track,
should it tilt either towards or away from the garage as it goes
down? In my case, the bottom of the vertical track is maybe an inch
closer to the inside of the garage than the top. I've seen this is
typical based on the couple of other doors I checked, but I'm not
sure. I did try straightening it at one point, but it made the button
sticking worse (tho unpredictable).

Any help is appreciated. I'm sick of this, and its starting to get
cold outside!